Friday, May 21, 2010

How to live in Tunisia, costs? med/dental care?Can you homeschool?

I am thinking of moving to Tunisia. I am American and have 1 american daughter and 1 1/2 tunisian daughter--us cit. I am divorced from a tunisian. How much to rent something decent like in Monistir or Mahdia? how much do I need per month to make it? Can I teach English from my home? Can I homeschool my kids? As a woman alone, will I be safe? Thanks for any input!!! I am a Muslim revert as well. I wear hijab.

How to live in Tunisia, costs? med/dental care?Can you homeschool?
I am an American who is married to a Tunisian and we live in Monastir. Monastir isn't the cheapest of towns to live in, housing wise, but if you really look, especially during the off season (fall and winter) you can find some really nice homes for cheap. I have a friend whose mom is renting a cute two bedroom, 1 bath, with a patio for only 200 Dinars a month. As for housing in Mahdia, I don't know how expensive it is, but imagine it would be close to that of Monastir because both are touristic towns.





You can definately teach English from your home to get some income. Spread the word by taking out an ad in the paper, having friends tell others of your servies, and if you're friendly with your ex, have him help you in the endevor.





Under Tunisian law, you cannot homeschool. I wanted to do that with my kids, but when we checked into it, it is not permitted. Every child MUST attend a state run school, or their parents will be put in jail. This law came into effect when Bourguiba was president. He wanted to make sure that all children got an education and therefor imposed a jail sentance for any parent who kept their children from attending. As of yet, Tunisian law does not recognize homeschooling as a valid form of education.





As a women, you will be safe in Monastir. I someimes take walks at 10pm at night by myself and nothing has happened to me. You may get a few men telling you that you are pretty or something like that, but just ignore them and continue on your way.





As for medical and dental costs, it all depends on the situation and where you go. For example, a regular pedatricians visit costs 25 dinars. The family doctor I go to for my husband and I, charges only 15 dinars a visit. Then you have to pay the costs of the medication, which those prices vary depending on what is wrong with you. Dental costs are usually about 25 dinars a visit, or more if you have work done. If there is an emergency, the hospital is a flat 10 dinar fee, but you will wait there for hours from the time you get there until the time you are discharged. If you go to the Clinique, the price is 30 dinars flat fee, and if you have your own doctor come, they may charge an additional fee.





If you ever do move to Monastir, look me up and I can tell you the best doctors, dentist, radiology lab, blood lab, and other things about living there. Hope this was some help to you!
Reply:I don't know but maybe you could talk to your ex??





Here are some websites that could help you. Good luck to you and your family.


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
vc .net